Friday, June 29, 2007

Two weeks

The length of time reckoned between application submission or deadline (as applicable) and a response. Any more, it is likely the application has been rejected. This, I learned from my early days on the job market with barely 3 O Levels and no confidence.

As the days ticked by, I was beginning to hope that the rejection letter came quickly and I could get the upset over and done with, with a week to go of my holiday, time to recover. The job is too far away, and do I really have the technical confidence to do it? The SOH hates the uncertainty and risk associated with a potential move, and believe me, I am no Cosmo woman, his opinion counts. Today is the 15th day after the deadline.....and a postal strike which I forgot about before I went downstairs to check.

Then........a phone call, from potential employer. Due to postal strike, they are phoning successful applicants and could I come and see them next Friday?

I'm in shock, I need a day or two to sort my head out.

Friday, June 22, 2007

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Webmasters are a funny species

When I first started trying to build my own web pages I read a lot of dos and don'ts. Such as you never ever ever have a page stating "under construction" or somesuch. Page 404 (provided its done in a stylish manner) is forgiveable providing that you fix it soon, "under construction", no way lazy saddo, put something there or take it offline; after all, there is nothing there until you go through the tedious mucking about with the ftp.

Taking this advice to heart, v21's Webmaster came up with a cunning version on a theme. Oh be calm my aching, shaking sides. Just how long has it been since you started trading again?

As an aside - yes I did send the application off, though re-reading the job description I think they want someone a lot more technical and IT experienced than me, rather than the jackofalltradesmasterofnone sort like me. Still, I am in no hurry, I'm calm now and just waiting on the change in my life I have faith is coming.

Tuesday, June 05, 2007


You know when you see that dream job, the one that makes your heart beat in your throat and your stomach do back flips?

I saw the position yesterday, and now I've an awful dilemma.

Y'see, it's nearly three times the distance away, I'd have to learn how to drive again probably (yikes) and I don't know if this was the opportunity that I sensed last Saturday (the job was posted a mere three days before I felt it). Also, it's a two year temporary contract.

I could do this job. It's what I could have been doing had I stayed in London. Those sorts of opportunities do not come around too often. I could write an application that will nearly blow their socks off (and, unlike some submissions made, it will be completely honest) and at least get to interview stage.

So...omigosh what do I do? I'm thinking too far ahead. Submit application and then wait....