Monday, September 03, 2007

The circus has left town

Nah, not Rhyl's funfair. Oh I'm sure there's a few tears at the passing of the garish monstrosity but I'm not biased (oh sure).

No. At least 75% of the tourists have left. We saw coaches and caravans passing by our window yesterday and inwardly heaved a sigh of relief that we don't have to put up with that lot any more. If only tourists were polite and treated the resorts as they would their own town. (Mind, you perhaps they do, that's the trouble.)

In other news, I note that my last post was about Dean, which has now been replaced by Felix. (I think it was Erin in between which was a mere tropical storm). Gil has already burned (or is blown) out, but Henriette is looking scary. Felix went overnight from category 2 to 5. I mean, the mind boggles. Our hurricane in '87 was a baby in comparison, barely a category 1 if I remember rightly.

Have a look at the USA hurricane site (I really can't be bothered to post a link, go to Google for crying out loud). Click on the satellite pics. Felix is a monster. Looking at the hurricane names link - there may be a Hurricane Fiona in a couple of years.

I couldn't bear to be a mere storm or, even worse, depression. I mean, 'Tropical Depression Fiona' sounds like an office nickname.

No comments: